Thursday, July 8, 2010

Adventures in Re-incarnation

When I found that one of my favorite t-shirts had a gaping hole in it (that was neither for the neck nor arms) my first reaction was pretty much expletive, expletive. But then I remembered a video I saw about making tarn on the Tottie Talks Crafts blog (http://tottietalkscrafts.com/).

For those of you unfamiliar with the clever etymology of crafting, tarn is yarn you make out of t-shirts (T-shirt + yarn = Tarn). I've always wanted to make some and now I finally had the opportunity.

I washed my mouth out with some soap and got right on to some tarn making!



My shirt stretched over a stool I had lying around



the bringer of this shirt's demise and soon after, rebirth



almost done!



my first ball of tarn!


It was a lot of fun and really easy to make. This specific shirt wasn't ideal i think because it was seamed along the sides so that instead of having one long continuous piece there are points where it's seamed together.

In any case, I can't wait to turn it into something new and exciting. Tarn, I've decided, is a great way to reuse some of those old concert/high school history club t-shirts that you don't ever wear but don't want to part with. This way, instead of a reminder of your foolish youth, your t-shirt becomes a safety conscious pot holder, or a chic clutch.

I'm doing cartwheels at all the prospects.

No comments:

Post a Comment